Friday, January 18, 2013

RAW CASHEW CHEESE


I was vegetarian for many years before I switched over to mostly raw vegan.  For years I thought I would miss cheese too much.  But, to tell you the truth, I don't.  And the fact is, there are so many great alternatives like this, eating is still very exciting.  The flavors and textures are just out of this world!  I can't forget to mention too that my body is thanking me for it. 

One of my new favorite blogs is jarOhoney. They have fabulous recipes!  This recipe is based of their Cashew Cheese recipe. This is my first attempt, and really it was so easy! 


 


I will be using this cheese to make one or two recipes in the next couple days and hope to post them next week.


RAW CASHEW CHEESE


2 cups whole raw organic cashews  - buy whole cashews to ensure the best quality of nut which equals the best quality of cheese
1/4 cup raw organic apple cider vinegar
1 small ripe organic lemon, reserve juice then save peel for another recipe
3 tablespoon of water
3 layers of cheese cloth about 8 inches long
large rubber band
twist tie
long wooden or plastic spoon
deep container to hang the cheese ball from - read further and as show in the photo above

In a large bowl, soak the cashews in clean water for 16 hours.  Drain the cashews and rinse well.  In a blender blend on high the cashews, vinegar and lemon juice.  Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, to ensure smoothness of the cheese.  Be sure to blend to a creamy paste. 

Open up and then layer your cheese cloth together on top of each other.  Spoon in the cheese into the center.  Gather the sides of your cheese cloth up to make a pouch over the cheese and twist tie the top that is gathered tightly to the cheese but do not squeeze.  Tie the cheese cloth onto the large spoon or stick and suspend it in the large bowl to allow it to drain. It needs to be at least 2 inches deeper that the cheese ball.  Hang for 24 hours, drain the container if need be.  Gently unwrap your cheese and place in a sealable container in the refrigerator up to 1 week.

  
Enjoy!

Join the discussion!



Do you have a favorite raw cheese recipe? We would love to hear what it is! Share it in the comments below. Links are welcome.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful... I'll be making this this week and I'll let you know how it turns out.. YUM!!!!!

Felicia said...

Wonderful! Please do let us know! :) Also, you'll be seeing posts this week on a few other recipes using it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. xF

uknowlikeaustralia said...

Your pictures are better than my 20/20 vision. True talent!

Felicia said...

Aww thank you uknowlikeaustralia! I'm blushing! Thank you! xoFelicia

Miss Charlotte said...

Do you drain this in the fridge too?

Felicia said...

Hello Miss Charlotte, you drain it at room tempurature. Thank you. xFelicia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...